Programs Manager - Brightwood Ranch, Entwistle, AB
Programs Manager - Brightwood Ranch, Entwistle, AB (Posted: 10/16/2018; Closing when filled)
Hope Mission is a non-denominational Christian inner-city rescue mission based in Edmonton, Alberta. Hope Mission also has branches in Calgary, Red Deer, and Wetaskiwin.
Hope Mission Summer Camps exist to provide a camp experience for underprivileged children – mostly from single parent, foster, and group homes. We are a “one sheep” camp (Luke 15:1-7), maintaining an intentionally low staff to camper ratio to provide campers who require additional support and attention the opportunity to thrive during their week at camp. Hope Mission has two summer camp properties: Brightwood Ranch (1 hour West of Edmonton) and Camp Hope (20 minutes west of Calgary).
Brightwood Ranch is owned by Hope Mission and is located on 220 acres of rolling hills one hour west of Edmonton (near Entwistle). The main site facilities include: four cabins for girls, four cabins for boys, a dining hall (seats up to 200), an indoor gym, climbing wall, zipline, low ropes course, archery & riflery range, petting zoo, horse barn, and outdoor riding arena. We operate programs for youth ages 6-17 through 6 day overnight camps both on and off site. The right candidate will be excited to build on the program foundation of Brightwood Ranch. Currently, Brightwood Ranch runs 8 camp programs each week: Main Site – campers stay in cabins (eat in dining hall); Tipi Village – campers stay in tipis (cook over campfire); Horse Camp – campers stay in covered wagons or outcamps; and 5 Youth Development Programs – campers stay in outcamps progressing through the program levels as they return each summer.
Hope Mission has a vision that men, women, youth and children who come to our doors would come to know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour.
This vision can be fulfilled only if all staff are diligent in serving, strengthening and uplifting people in the name of Jesus Christ.
The Programs Manager will provide leadership to the ministry and mission of Brightwood Ranch in alignment with the Vision, Mission, Core Values, and Statement of Faith of Hope Mission.
The Programs Manager provides leadership and support to a team of 4 full-time employees year-round and 60-80 summer staff (2 and 4 month positions).
The Programs Manager works alongside many supporting departments within Hope Mission to ensure the logistics of camp are coordinated and implemented. This includes human resources, finance, facilities & maintenance, community engagement, and programs.
During off season your role will include staff recruitment (travel involved), overseeing our contract school nutrition programs, outreach to local schools, hosting user groups, and supporting volunteer work groups.
o Leadership: Able to provide spiritual direction & leadership to the Brightwood Ranch staff team
• Passion for & Commitment to working with children who face a variety of obstacles and challenges in their lives
• Communication: Able to communicate and coordinate internally with other departments within Hope Mission as well as externally as a spokesperson for Brightwood Ranch.
• Strategic Planning & Visioning: Excitement for building on the programming foundation of Brightwood Ranch maintaining an emphasis on supportive relationships, personal growth, experiences in nature, and youth leadership development.
• Multi-Tasking: Able to juggle competing needs and prioritize completion of tasks and projects
• Crisis Response: Able to use conflict resolution & de-escalation techniques to manage crisis & conflict situations
• Networking: Able to liaise with partner schools, parents, donors, volunteer groups, local agencies, and community members
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for recruiting, hiring, and training camp staff and volunteers in collaboration with the People & Culture department
• Provide ongoing support for staff and volunteers through training, debriefing, prayer, Bible studies, staff meetings, performance appraisals, evaluation and feedback
• Fosters a compassionate, strength based, and Christ-centered environment for the staff, campers, and families we serve
• Responsible for ongoing program development (with a strong emphasis on nature and wilderness activities), implementation, and evaluation
• Maintains a current and accurate knowledge of support resources and agencies available to children, youth, and families
• Maintains accurate documentation, reporting, and filing of critical incidents involving campers
• Develops a yearly program calendar in collaboration with the Preventative Programs Manager
• Maintains and implements Hope Mission policies and procedures to ensure safety of campers and staff
• Collaborates with Hope Mission’s Facilities and Maintenance team to ensure the upkeep of Brightwood Ranch facilities and property maintaining a safe and clean working environment
• Coordinates program and food supply orders with the purchasing team
• Establishes and maintains positive relationships with schools, community partners, donors, volunteers, and other support networks
• Ensures accurate statistics and reports are gathered for programs, events, and grants as needed
• Completes monthly reports for the Preventative Programs Manager and Board of Directors
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
• Spiritual maturity and a growing relationship with Christ
• Camp Ministry Experience
• Experience working with underprivileged children and families
• Wilderness Outdoor Recreation Experience
• Management Experience
• Self-Starter, Team Player, Flexible: Able to manage competing priorities and multiple activities, events, and situations. Works well under pressure.
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent Organizational skills
• Education: Completion of post-secondary degree. Degree in Ministry an asset. Relevant experience will be considered.
• Physical Fitness: Able to run, hike, and lift
• A letter of reference from a ministry or church
• Being a Christian Organization we require our employees to be in agreement and sign the Hope Mission Statement of Faith.
• Flexibility to work irregular and extended hours as required
• Ability to travel to represent and promote Hope Mission Summer Camps
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada on a full-time basis.
• Able to provide Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search and a Child Intervention Record Check
• Adherence to Hope Mission’s Policies and Procedures
• Experience with climbing walls, ziplines, and rope courses not required but an asset
Please send your resume and cover letter indicating why you would like to work in a Christian ministry to:
People & Culture, Hope Mission
9908 106 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB, T5J 2L8
Fax: (780) 453-1455
We thank all applicants for their interest;
however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.