Sous Chef, Muskoka Woods, Rosseau, ON
Sous Chef, Muskoka Woods, Rosseau, ON (Posted 01/25/23)
Muskoka Woods is a Christian youth development organization that welcomes everyone to an experience for a lifetime. Located on the shores of beautiful Lake Rosseau, we specialize in summer camp, school trips, group retreats and leadership development for all ages. We exist to inspire youth to shape their world.
You won’t often hear people describe their time at Muskoka Woods as just a “job” because it’s so much more! Built into what you do is a supportive community and intentional staff training. Additionally, at Muskoka Woods, you have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of young people everyday; to invest in their development and watch them grow into their best version of themselves. Come be an important part of our mission to inspire youth to shape their world!
Muskoka Woods is currently looking for a permanent, full-time Sous Chef to provide quality food service to our staff and guests. You will oversee the day to day cooking operations while complying with all Health and Safety standards, proper food-handling techniques and Muskoka Woods standards; maintaining a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen.
Benefits of working at Muskoka Woods:
Working on beautiful Lake Rosseau in the heart of Muskoka
Intentional staff development
Access to facilities and staff care events
Build your network to help you further your career
Training to help prepare you for what’s next
Meals included on shift
Staff discount on merchandise from The Camp Store
Potential accommodation available
Salary plus health benefits
Key Job Functions
Oversee Food Preparation and Cooking
• Assess inventory, prepare daily production list, verify recipes and quantities.
• Cook meals as assigned.
• Work with the Head Chef to plan and provide a weekly Special Diet menu.
• Be creative in utilizing leftover inventory and adding sizzle to meals.
• Contribute ideas to the overall menu planning.
• Ensure quality control of all meals and salad bar through daily checks of each meal.
Maintain a high level of cleanliness and organization of kitchen.
• Ensures the pantry, all fridges, freezer, cooking line, prep kitchen, equipment, dish area, loading docks, and walk in are clean and organized by supervising the daily cleaning routines through organization, participation, schedules and checklists.
• Receives product, verifying invoices and freshness of merchandise, puts away and organizes deliveries as required.
• Ensures fridge/freezer temperature sheets are being maintained.
• Is aware of and abides by all Health and Safety and Food Handling requirements.
Lead, train, and manage the team and individuals:
• Participate in and help implement quarterly Staff Development Weeks.
• Plan and implement on going training of staff.
• Plan and implement weekly/bi-weekly meetings with team and individuals ensuring growth rings are completed in a timely manner.
• Assign staff schedules
• Work alongside and coach as required.
• Participate in community events and initiatives when possible ie Cadence, one on ones, social gatherings
• Participate in meetings as needed.
• Participate in corporate events including Town Hall, Leadership Meetings and Annual Retreat
• Organize time and keep office clean.
• Personal and professional development
• Other requests as outlined by the Head Chef
Skills and Attributes Required:
• Strong leadership and team-building skills
• Strong people and time management skills
• Attentive to detail
• Enjoys working with young people.
• Ability to work within the larger team of Muskoka Woods
• Personal values that match Muskoka Woods’ Core Values and Core Leaves
• College/University degree or equivalent in experience.
• Red Seal Chef or equivalent in experience.
• 4 to 7 years of cooking/kitchen experience.
• 2 to 3 years of proven leadership experience of young people and adults.
• Ability to lift and move up to 50lbs
• Able to stand, walk and work for 6 to 8 hours
• Possess physical and mental strength and endurance to maintain constant supervision of staff
• Ability to communicate, both written and verbal, with guests and staff.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org along with any questions you may have. Looking forward to hearing from you!