CCI Canada Blog
Praying this finds you in good health - physically, mentally and spiritually!
Updates from our camps - what are camps doing?
Here are some more ideas from camps about what they are doing during this time. If you have more suggestion, drop me a line so I can include it in future updates.
- Camps have communicated to their summer campers that camp is running for the time being and a more definite decision will be made as more information is known (camps are giving dates at the end of May or beginning of June for reassessment decisions)
- A couple of camps are allowing their community to order groceries through the camp's supplier and the camp is delivering the groceries
- A couple of camps are preparing meals and offering those for sale (including camp cinnamon buns!)
- Some camps are readying their facility (deep clean) so that they can be ready to offer their site in case more beds are needed by health care
- Camps are posting online challenges to already engage their campers. Ideas include
- Lego challenge - post a picture of a lego creation of their favorite camp activity. Winning photo gets a box of lego delivered to their house.
- Instagram photo challenge - post your summer memories
- Recipe challenge - camp shares a favorite recipe and campers share their experience cooking and eating the "goods"
- Camps are looking at other ways they can use their facilities if the bans are lifted - church groups, adult retreats, etc
- Camps are talking about having a deeper staff training, LIT or leadership development programs during the Spring (if bans are reduced or lifted)
In regards to staffing and finances
- Some camps are still running with full staff (most of these are smaller camps)
- Many camps have laid off workers
- Many camps are using government programs to assist in paying salaries (see links below)
- Camps have asked their banks to suspend mortgage/loan payments
- All camps are encouraged to keep a record of lost revenue as well as cost savings (decreased expenses) to paint a true picture of financial loss.
- Camp are encouraged to keep dated screen shots of decisions being made by the authorities to indicate how the decisions directly affect the financial picture at the camp
- Camps are thankful that the CRA has deferred payment of the GST remittance to August 31 (see links below)
- Camps are relying on volunteers to help with projects where staff are laid off and where provincial restrictions allow
- Camps are offering tax receipts rather than refunds for cancelled events. (For how to fill out a tax receipt in this event see the link below)
Links to help you in your planning
- The CCI/Canada resource library includes some excellent resources about preparing your business as well as your ministry. (The resource library is member access by link - email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link).
- Temporary Wage Subsidy https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/covid-19-update/frequently-asked-questions-wage-subsidy-small-businesses.html?fbclid=IwAR3M0d38Y4LGP-YqI2uNIYw0QPILFSxSumJxQuRqGUNItAk8iY15mqYBEmg#h1 The Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers is a three-month measure that will allow eligible employers to reduce the amount of payroll deductions required to be remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Link to the Canadian Economic Response Plan for Businesses
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html#business. This includes the new Emergency Support Benefit. For Canadians who lose their jobs or face reduced hours as a result of COVID’s impact, the Government is introducing an Emergency Support Benefit delivered through the CRA to provide up to $5 billion in support to workers who are not eligible for EI and who are facing unemployment.
- Helping Businesses Keep their Workers - https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/canadas-covid-19-economic-response-plan-support-for-canadians-and-businesses.html#Supporting_Canadian_Business. To support businesses that are facing revenue losses and to help prevent lay-offs, the government is proposing to provide eligible small employers a temporary wage subsidy for a period of three months. The subsidy will be equal to 10% of remuneration paid during that period, up to a maximum subsidy of $1,375 per employee and $25,000 per employer. Businesses will be able to benefit immediately from this support by reducing their remittances of income tax withheld on their employees’ remuneration. Employers benefiting from this measure will include corporations eligible for the small business deduction, as well as non-profit organizations and charities.
- Supplemental Unemployment Benefits Program - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-supplemental-unemployment-benefit.html. Used to increase employees’ weekly earnings when they are unemployed due to a temporary stoppage of work. See a sample plan in the CCI/Canada Resource Library.
- Work-Share Program - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/work-sharing.html An adjustment program designed to help employers and employees avoid layoffs when there is a temporary reduction in the normal level of business activity that is beyond the control of the employer.
- Writing Tax receipts if you cancel an event - https://www.canadiancharitylaw.ca/blog/corona-virus-covid-19-charity-issues-cancelling-events-refunds-and-the-possibility-of-a-charitable-donation/?fbclid=IwAR24Bwm2X3vntWnU3gk5_r8V5nQSLef__SBX7YBRRxZ8jF3YeXpaPo
This is an interesting time for all of us. Be encouraged! We know a great God! We are innovative and creative people. We are used to coming up with contigency plans at the drop of a hat (or the drop of rain that brings us all indoors). Please share your ideas and your thoughts with me.
In the midst of hardship is when we read the well quoted verse "'I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.'" Jeremiah 29:11-13
Let's join together to seek Him! Join with ministries across Canada to participate in a Global Day of Prayer and Fasting on Sunday, March 29 (https://www.evangelicalfellowship.ca/COVIDPrayer) and remember to mark the Day of Prayer for Camp on your calendars - May 31, 2020.